When applying for newer jobs, hiring managers assume you don't have experience or valuable skills, so prove them wrong.
Upgrade your resume with a first-year resume summary. Yes, that's a thing. And thanks to this article, you will learn how to use it.
This guide will show you:
- What is a Freshman Profile Summary.
- A freshman resume sample is better than 9 out of 10 other examples out there.
- How to write a strong summary for a freshman resume to introduce yourself to potential employers.
- Selected CV examples for freshers in various professions.
Save time and have your CV ready in 5 minutes?Try our CV builder. It is quick and easy to use. In addition, you get ready-made content that you can add with a click.View over 20 CV templates and create your CV here.
Create your CV now
Use this resume template
Sample resume created in our builder—See more templates and create your CV here.
What is a resume summary for beginners?
INresume resumefor newcomersit is ashort introductory paragraph at the top of your CVwhich allows you to present your qualifications, skills and achievements in just 3 to 4 sentences. It's the first thing a potential employer sees on your resume, so it should make an impression.
Why do you need a profile overview for beginners?
Do you know how many junior candidates there are in India? Millions. India hasolder and younger workforcein the world, so you need every opportunity to get noticed. Your best bet is to write a summary for oneResume for beginnersbecause:
- A summary is quickly understood because it highlights the most important information.
- It gives you another chance to include relevant keywords and helps Applicant Tracking Software (ATS) give you a high score.
- If you play it right, your hiring manager will know right from the start that you are the right candidate.
Pro tip:There are also other types of resume profiles. Freshmen often go for onecontinuation goalrather than a CV summary as this is a better option for candidates with minimal experience.
How to write a resume summary for freshmen?
Are you intimidated by writing an overview profile for beginners? Do not worry! All new things seem challenging. But this time it will be.
Use these steps to write a freshman resume summary:
- Start with onestrong personality trait, asmotivation,Contact, Eng.
- follow meyour position or field of study, For example,InEnglish speaking students.
- added onequalifications, information about your relevant experience or expertise, For example,with experience in digital marketing.
- Express yourselfenthusiasm for workand specifywhat you can do to helpthe company, e.g.excited to improve brand recognition by creating engaging posts.
- Give an example of onerelative performancefrom previous jobs, voluntary work and academic activities, such asBringing 15,000+ new visitors to a hotel website.
- Add additional information about yourknowledge, skills or certificationswhich can be valuable for the employer, such asexperience creating social media graphics in Canva.
Pro tip:Remember to write your CV summary without personal pronouns such as"I","Mine", Se"mine". It may feel strange at first, but it is the format that recruiters prefer.
See the example below to understand how it works:
Profile overview for beginners: Example
|Enthusiastic English-speaking student with experience in digital marketing. We look forward to increasing the brand recognition of Mahindra Resorts by developing social media accounts and publishing engaging posts in collaboration with travel influencers. Brought over 15,000 new visitors to a hotel website in 2022 in partnership with travel bloggers. Experienced in creating short and long blog posts in English, creating promotional video scripts and creating social media graphics in Canva.|
This candidate followed all the steps I mentioned above. Your first year summary for a resume is captivating and informative and is sure to catch a potential employer's attention.
Let's look at another example:
Resume overview for beginners: Example
|I am an ambitious student looking for a job. I would like to re-apply for the digital marketing position to learn more about viral and social media marketing. I like to write blog posts and I speak good English.|
This brief summary is not perfect. The candidate does not provide information about their relevant experience or skills. Instead, they focus on what they want out of the job, while an employer wants to know if an employee can do the job well. And they need proof of that.
Being a newbie means you don't have much work experience to show off. This can make writing a resume summary for first-year students a bit difficult. After all, it must contain relevant achievements to be effective. But did you know that it doesn't have to be work-related?
What to write in the summary of a resume for freshmen?
Candidates between the ages of 22 and 25 are eligible to participatethe highest employable age group. And that's because they often asked for a lot21st century skillswhich older candidates may miss.
So here are the types of experiences you can add to your freshman resume:
- academicallyperformance and awards:Being a good student is not just about memorizing your textbooks. Have you spoken at a conference? Maybe you got a scholarship? Or won a prestigious award for your research? You name it.
- Outdoor activities:Did you help organize a large student event? Perhaps you have made a website for the drama club? Show that you use your free time meaningfully.
- Voluntary experience:Volunteering provides an opportunity to use your skills effectively. There are many forms of volunteering: you can teach children and teenagers, help organize collections, carry out administrative tasks, create information materials, prepare meals and much more!
- Personal projects:Focusing on yourself is also valuable. Perhaps you have spent hours of your free time creating an impressive personal website? Or do you have a popular Facebook profile dedicated to your favorite topic? These activities are more than just passing the time – they teach youskills that may be useful for the job.
- The hobby is interesting:Surprise, surprise – some hobbies can teach you a thing or two. Making YouTube videos with your friends can be a great first step to a career in marketing or video production. And by doing fitness activities, you can get a job at a local gym.
As you can see, it is possible to add achievements to a CV summary for beginners with no work experience.
See performance examples for your most recent resume below:
- He won a student programming competition by creating a mobile app to track changes in local and state train schedules.
- In 2020-2022, he led freshman orientation and first aid training on campus.
- She used social media to help her school's dance team gain national recognition, which led to them participating in X-Factor India.
- He published a summary of research on the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the behavior of Indian youth in a national psychology journal.
- Original research presented at a biotechnology student conference in October 2021.
- Correct and edit over 2,000 pages of fellow student essays to adhere to the New Oxford Manual of Style.
- More than 30 pages translated from Hindi to English for a local company.
- In the years 2020-2022, I helped the kitchen staff of a local charity to prepare meals for poor citizens at the weekend.
Still worried about your lack of experience? Consider trying internship opportunities. There isover 1 millioninternships available in India and are a great way to take the first steps in your preferred career path. Think toowrite a CV for an internship.
When you create a resume in our builder, drag and drop bullets, skills, and fill in the boring stuff automatically. Spell check;account. Start building oneProfessional resume template here for free.
Create my CV now
When you are finished,Zety CV makerit will assess your resume and tell you exactly how to improve it.
Concise examples for beginners
Here you can find a collection of sample CVs for beginners. Check them out and feel free to use them as inspiration to write your own!
Summary for a first year cv: example software engineer
Detail oriented software engineer, junior with a degree in computer science. We look forward to improving the quality of Starcoding Inc. products. by troubleshooting through manual testing. Completed a five-week Python coding bootcamp and created a mobile hidden object game in April 2022.
Example of CV outline for B.Com. first year student
Motivated business candidate with experience in the restaurant industry. She would like to join Seafood Palace as an Assistant Manager to support the day-to-day running of the back office and build strong relationships with the restaurant staff. Worked part-time as a restaurant employee in the summers 2020-2022.
Resume Summary for Beginners: Sample for Engineers
Ambitious bachelor in technology with specialization in artificial intelligence and machine learning. Willing to use Python skills to help analyze machine learning algorithms at QuoteData. Volunteered in data visualization training for third year students at Bangalore University Chemistry Department.
Example profile summary for beginners: Accounting
Personal third-year accounting and finance student looking for a job as Primary Accountant. I would like to support operations at Yellow Note Trading with accounting and expense tracking. Handled all finances and expense reports as treasurer of the Student's Travel Club of the University of Bombay.
Sample CV Summary for First Year MBA Students
Goal-oriented MBA student looking for part-time administrative position. Willing to support secretarial duties with organizational skills and handle incoming and outgoing calls with courtesy and professionalism at Gheesay Ltd. Helped coordinate fundraising efforts and handled incoming mail during Hope Is Here's summer 2021 volunteer program.
Summary Overview for Beginners: Example for Data Analysts
Communications data analyst with a master's degree in business. Looking for different visualization models to support data-driven decisions in B.G. Development. Completed a six-month internship focusing on big data and performing several statistical and analytical tasks using Excel, Tableau and Microsoft Power BI.
Resume overview for first-year computer science students: Example
Ambitious computer science student hoping for a fresher IT help desk position. Prepared to resolve Comp4You customer issues using problem solving skills and advanced knowledge of computer hardware. Volunteer to provide computer training to unemployed citizens of Bellandur suburb in June-September 2022.
Resume Resume for Freshmen: Trial Pharmacist
Empathetic fourth year B. Pharm. students with knowledge of western and traditional medicine. Would like to work in Hyderabad Pharmaceuticals as Pharmacy Assistant to maintain drug list and update documentation. Provided hospital patients with prescription medication and performed inventory activities during internship in February-August 2022.
Summary for a resume for first-year students: example for a teacher
Newly qualified mathematics teacher is looking for a fresher teaching position. He would like to develop the mathematical skills of Star Academy's primary school students using project-based and game-based learning methods. Complete 160 hours of classroom practice. He is fluent in English, Hindi and Gujarati.
Short example for first-year students: Bank
Motivated HSC candidate with customer service experience. I am looking forward to join Hisar Bank as a Banking Assistant to provide customers with accurate information about available services and build strong customer relationships. Successfully handled customer inquiries during an internship as a financial advisor in April-August 2022.
Example of CV overview for beginners: Journalist
Insightful Fresher Journalist with B.A. in journalism and mass communication. Attempts to provide viewers of Delhi Media Agency with factual information by verifying sources and collecting data remarkably. Publisher of the university newspaper 2020–2022. He is fluent in Hindi, Punjabi and English.
Sample profile overview for Freshman: Customer Service
Enthusiastic HSC graduate, passionate about the fashion industry. We are happy to answer customer inquiries and inform them about available products, sizes, fabrics, new trends and shipping services at Maze Fashion Ltd. Customer service experience gained while volunteering at Shiva Charitable Home in June-September 2022.
Resume overview for beginners: Sales example
Goal oriented SSC candidate with excellent Microsoft Office skills. We look forward to building long-term customer relationships and helping customers make purchasing decisions at Gold Bazaar Inc. Communicates effectively in Hindi, Tamil and English. Helped organize 3 school fundraising events and served as treasurer to manage fundraising in 2020-2022.
Freshman Summary for Project Management CV: Eksempel
Motivated bachelor in technology with specialization in information technology. I would like to join IT here as an assistant project manager to help coordinate projects and ensure they are completed on time. Managed an extracurricular student software development project involving 4 developers and a graphic designer from start to finish within planned deadlines in 2022. Coordinated 3 fundraising projects involving 20+ volunteers for the Sunshine Helpers Fund in 2020-2021.
Best Summary for a Freshman Resume: Human Resources Example
Detail oriented Business Administration degree with strong interpersonal skills. I would like to support recruitment activities at Parakeet Services to help find new talent that will push the company forward. He developed soft skills as a study counselor on campus between 2021 and 2022.
Once your resume is ready, there's one more thing to do: write a cover letter. Not sure how to do it? Look here:Write a cover letter from scratch
A good cover letter for your CV will give you an advantage over other applicants. You can write it in ourcover letter builder here. This is how it might look:
Create my CV and cover letter
See Morecover letter templates and start writing.
Key learning points
Here's a quick reminder of why it's a good idea to write a summary for a freshman resume:
- A CV summary on a first year CV is a great way to impress the recruiter straight away as it sits at the top of your CV and contains only relevant and important information about your application.
- It helps you stand out from the crowd, be remembered by recruiters and gives you a chance to present yourself professionally.
- You can create the perfect summary for a freshman resume by using both your professional and academic achievements.
Thank you for reading this article!
Do you have any questions? Maybe you'd like to share some tips on how to write a resume summary for freshmen? Let me know in the comments below.
- Choose a resume format. The first step when creating an entry-level resume is to select a format. ...
- Begin with your contact information. ...
- Include a professional summary. ...
- List your relevant work experience. ...
- Add your education. ...
- List your relevant skills. ...
- Consider including additional sections.
- Form. The hiring manager wants to be able to read through your resume quickly and pick out the key components. ...
- Function. ...
- e(F)fectiveness. ...
- The 3 Fs of Resume Writing. ...
- The Right Resume.
The easiest resume format to read is the reverse chronological format. Recruiters and hiring managers are familiar with its structure, and it's the most popular resume format in 2023 among candidates. Applicant tracking software can also scan it without any problems.What is the best resume format for no experience? ›
For a no-experience resume, we recommend that you use the reverse-chronological format. It's the most popular format amongst applicants and a recruiter favorite. The sections in your reverse-chronological resume will be: Header: Contact Information and Resume Statement.How do I write a resume with no experience and no education? ›
When creating a resume with no education to list, highlight the ways you've taken the initiative to learn and grow in your field rather than focusing on an incomplete or interrupted education. List any job-related training you've completed, either through your own initiative or your company's direction.How do you list skills on a resume with no experience? ›
The key to creating a resume that will land you a job when you have no experience is to focus on the professional skills that you have learned at school or during the course of social activities. For instance, you may have learned leadership skills at a summer camp, or you might have taught yourself programming.What are the 4 C's of resume writing? ›
To help me accomplish that task, I distilled the writing advice I've read and received over the years into the four Cs—clear, concise, correct, and compelling. Below are the points I keep in mind for each.What are the 3 C's of a resume? ›
Because 80.6% of Recruiters disqualify candidates when a resume contains errors, I not only assessed her resume for mistakes, I also evaluated the document based on the 3 C's: confidence, career story and competency.What are 2 rules in resume writing that you have Learnt? ›
- Keep it to One Page. ...
- Avoid Spelling or Grammar Errors. ...
- Watch Your Tenses. ...
- Avoid the First Person Pronouns. ...
- Send Your Resume as a PDF. ...
- Label Your Resume File Correctly. ...
- Format in a Logical Structure. ...
- Make Sure It's Easy to Read.
An effective resume summary follows this formula: Professional Title (if relevant) + Key Experiences (with the total number of years worked) + Top Achievements (preferably measurable results) + Top Skills/Expertise/Unique Values (relevant to the job and industry).
This should include your current contact information, the employer contact information, the date, and a professional cover letter salutation. Be careful with choosing a “To Whom It May Concern” cover letter.What should you avoid on your resume? ›
- Resume objective statement. ...
- Unprofessional email. ...
- Full mailing address. ...
- Multiple phone numbers. ...
- Outdated or irrelevant social media profiles. ...
- Personal details. ...
- Headshot. ...
- Incomplete degree.
- Irrelevant work experience.
- Poorly formatted resume.
- Lack of accomplishments.
- Inconsistent details and information.
- Employment gaps.
- Job hopping.
A bad resume lacks both measurable and individualized outcomes. Instead of listing the tasks you perform or talking about your company's accomplishments, explain how you used your skills to create measurable results for your employer.How long should a resume be? ›
Your resume is your professional calling card. Learn what length it should be and how to keep it focused and impactful. Most resumes should be between one and two pages long. But, some can be three pages or more.How do I make a good Indeed resume with no experience? ›
- Choose your format. ...
- Review the job description. ...
- Identify keywords. ...
- Write a summary statement. ...
- Highlight your skills. ...
- Describe your relevant experience. ...
- Summarize your education. ...
- Showcase your awards or achievements.
Problem-solving skills: creativity, critical thinking, and analytical skills. Customer-service skills: active listening, time management, and prioritization. Interpersonal skills: communication, teamwork, and empathy. Leadership skills: decision making, stress management, and organization.How do you write a resume after not working for years? ›
- Write a compelling headline. ...
- Highlight your skills. ...
- List professional training or seminars. ...
- Include freelance experience. ...
- Update your terminology. ...
- Mention your involvement in a professional organization or relevant trade group. ...
- Omit the months from your employment dates.
The "skills" section of a resume is the most important, according to many employers. A candidate that lacks experience should still have the necessary skills, showing a potential for growth. A variety of skills is also important to indicate that a candidate has a number of interests.Can I get a job if I don't have a resume? ›
Pursue jobs with online applications
While a website with an online application may prompt you to include a resume, it's not always a requirement since the application already includes details regarding your work history.
Simply include that your education is in progress, and list the date that you expect to graduate. If you dropped out of high school, you can list the dates you attended and note that your certification was incomplete with the dates you attended. Then, you can list any other education you may have received.How do I write about myself on my resume? ›
- Research and brainstorm. Think about your background, education, awards, skills and other attributes that you developed or earned throughout your career or education. ...
- Write your introduction. ...
- Share relevant skills. ...
- Explain your career goals.
One of the best ways to find keywords is to re-read the job description. Pay attention to the skills and qualifications that are listed as requirements for the position. Then add those keywords to your resume, especially in the work experience section.Can you just list skills on a resume? ›
Your resume skills section can be the best place to list your hard skills and soft skills. You may also incorporate these skills into your resume summary or work experience section. The key is to note the specific skills and keywords that are found in the job description.What is the most commonly used resume? ›
The most commonly used resume format is the chronological resume. On a chronological resume, your work history is listed by job title, beginning with your current or most recent job. The chronological resume works best for job seekers who: Want to showcase a steady employment history.What are the 3 important elements of a well written resume? ›
- Personal Information. Name Current and Permanent address (may be omitted from a resume posted on the web) ...
- Objective. In one short sentence summarize your goal for your job search. ...
- Education. ...
- Work and Related Experience. ...
- Awards and Honors. ...
- Activities/Hobbies. ...
- Skills. ...
- References (3-5 people)
There are three common resume formats: chronological, functional, and combination.What is the best declaration in resume? ›
I hereby declare that all the information given above is true and correct to the best of my knowledge. All the information shared in the resume is correct, and I take full responsibility for its correctness. I solemnly declare that the information in this resume is true to the best of my knowledge and belief.What is a common mistake when writing a resume? ›
1. Having spelling errors and bad grammar. Whether you proofread it yourself, or get somebody else to, checking over your CV from start to finish can be the difference between being accepted and being rejected.What mistakes should one never make while writing resume? ›
- Typos and Grammatical Errors. ...
- Lack of Specifics. ...
- Attempting the "One–Size–Fits–All" Approach. ...
- Highlighting Duties Instead of Accomplishments. ...
- Going on Too Long or Cutting Things Too Short. ...
- Bad Summary. ...
- No Action Verbs. ...
- Leaving Off Important Information.
- Be strategic. Your resume isn't a list of everything you've ever done. ...
- Keep it consistent. No matter what formatting choice you make, maintain editorial consistency by using that format throughout the document. ...
- Include a variety of experiences. ...
- Think like an employer. ...
- Keep it visually balanced.
Generally, experts recommend keeping about 10-15 years of work experience on your resume, but that guidance changes depending on your professional history. Your resume is one of the first things a potential employer sees about you.How do you show communication skills on a resume? ›
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Confident, articulate, and professional speaking abilities (and experience)
- Empathic listener and persuasive speaker.
- Writing creative or factual.
- Speaking in public, to groups, or via electronic media.
- Excellent presentation and negotiation skills.
I am an enthusiastic, self-motivated, reliable, responsible and hard working person. I am a mature team worker and adaptable to all challenging situations. I am able to work well both in a team environment as well as using own initiative. I am able to work well under pressure and adhere to strict deadlines.Where can I create resume for free? ›
Creating a resume online with Canva's free resume builder will give you a sleek and attractive resume, without the fuss. Choose from hundreds of free, designer-made templates, and customize them within minutes.What are skills resume examples? ›
The top skills that employers look for on a resume are: Technical skills: computer skills, programming languages, social media, and enterprise software. Problem-solving skills: creativity, critical thinking, and analytical skills. Customer-service skills: active listening, time management, and prioritization.What should you not put in a resume summary? ›
The most important question to keep in mind is whether your summary is truly adding value. If you're simply repeating information found elsewhere on your resume or your content sounds generic, it's best to leave it off.
- Resume objective statement. ...
- Unprofessional email. ...
- Full mailing address. ...
- Multiple phone numbers. ...
- Outdated or irrelevant social media profiles. ...
- Personal details. ...
- Headshot. ...
How Many Skills to List on Your Resume? You'll want to have anywhere between 5 and 10 skills in the skills section of your resume. Depending on what kind of job you're applying to, you'll want to pick the skills that are most relevant to the job description and add them.